Your Dungeon Master works hard to make sure you have a fantastic campaign. So how can you repay them? By showing your appreciation!
Since February is now officially “Dungeon Master Appreciation Month,” it only felt right to come up with 28 ways you can appreciate your DM. How many will you squeeze into the month?
- Offer to host the next session at your place!
- Create a soundtrack to match the current campaign setting.
- Make them a batch of Fireball truffles.
- Pay for the DM’s share of the pizza order.
- Submit the DM’s best quotes to outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com.
- Give them a hand-painted miniature of an important NPC in your campaign.
- Make sure the DM’s glass is always full, whether they’re drinking water, coffee, or mead.
- Recommend they DM for the D&D Adventurer’s League at your friendly local game store.
- Immortalize your campaign’s story in the GameTales subreddit.
- Secretly talk to all of the players in your campaign, and have everyone come to the next session dressed up as their character!
- Bring the DM a bottle of wine with a customized label matching your current campaign (handmade by you, of course!). You can find a template here.
- Share an amazing thing your DM did in the DnD subreddit.
- Make a batch of Tavern Stew for the DM and other players.
- Share a clip of the epic campaign (or the hilarious NPC the DM voices) on Vine or Instagram.
- Tweet your appreciation for your DM using #DnDDMA!
- Are you artistically inclined? Volunteer to draw/paint beautiful character representations or maps. Not so artsy? Find a talented friend and commission the artwork.
- Send a Thank You card after a fantastic session, and let them know what impressed you–was it the puzzle they wrote? How they had you laughing the whole time? How the monsters were perfectly matched to make it a hard (but not completely lethal) fight?
- Get tickets to an upcoming gaming convention and take your DM! Check out the cons recommended by the D&D team here.
- Offer to record your next session and edit into a podcast or video.
- Write an ode to your DM on the official Dungeons & Dragons Facebook page.
- Sign your DM up for Dungeons and Dragons Online and play a session with them! (If you’re feeling extra generous, make them a VIP!)
- Create a sash, crown, robe, or other accessory to signify your DM is the “World’s Greatest.” Insist they wear it to each session!
- Make your DM a dice tower.
- Create a “pump up playlist” to get your DM in the mood on their way to the next session. Some suggestions are Assorted Intricacies’ “Roll a D6,” Weird Al’s “White and Nerdy,” Stephen Lynch’s “D&D,” and The Doubleclicks’ “This Fantasy World.”
- Present a gift to your DM, but make them solve a puzzle or riddle similar to ones they put in your campaign before they can receive it!
- Make an in-character “scrapbook” of your adventure with notes/”diary entries” from each day and drawings of people, places, and monsters you encountered. Give it to your DM at the end of the campaign!
- Make a dice bag using fabric patterns and colors that your DM will love!
- Offer to DM a future campaign so they have a chance to play!
(Editor’s Note: As mentioned in our earlier letter, if you’re feeling inspired to give Dungeon Mastering a try, or want to start appreciating your Dungeon Master right now, then the Dungeon Master’s Guide is the perfect gift for the storyteller in your life!)
About the Author
Geeky Hostess (Tara Theoharis) blogs about “incorporating your geeky passions into your everyday life through parties, gift ideas, home decor, recipes, etiquette, fashion, and more.” More advice, ideas and recipes can be found at http://geekyhostess.com.