GAMING INSPIRED REAL LIFE ADVENTURES
I’ve recently been thinking about real life adventures I’d like to take that were inspired by gaming. Or rather, to be more accurate, I have done these things in games (as well as researched them in real life), and therefore I’d now like to do them in real life as well.
Some of these things I imagine I may never get the chance to do (though you never know), but others I suspect I will get to do. Also I’ve already done many things in real life that I have also done in games, and vice versa, but I always thought of imaginary expeditions and adventures and real life adventures as cross-fertilizing one another. So for instance I have been a near life-long Vadder, and to me D&D (for example) was simply a form of complimentary vadding of the imagination.
So these are things I’ve done in games that I’d like to do in real life in the future:
1. I’d like to walk or travel by horse and camel the Silk Road, starting from Istanbul (Constantinople) and then all the way into China.
2. I’d like to sail the entire world, starting from the East Coast of America (Charleston) to land on the West Coast of America, when finished, in a true sailing vessel. Though I’d probably take along an engine enabled craft just as an emergency back-up. I’d christen her the Endeavour, after my old ship.
3. I’d like to thoroughly explore the cistern system of Constantinople, along with any other underground and abandoned areas of that ancient city that I could possible make my way into.
4. I’d like to buy a small keep or castle in England or Scotland (maybe Bohemia) and then use the surrounding lands to raise really good horses. On that estate I’d also like to build a small private amphitheatre, and an observatory, and a good solid library complex, all of my own design. After I got a good herd up and the estate was flourishing I’d rent it out and then let the caretakers continue raising the stock. I’d probably thereafter vacation there.
5. I’d like to put together an archaeological expedition into Central (preferably) or South America and make a new discovery.
6. I’d like to track down and discover an animal thought extinct or very rare and then photograph and record it.
7. I’d like to explore a previously unexplored or only very rarely explored underground complex. Natural or man-made (long abandoned).
8. I’d like to visit some ancient libraries (especially old monastic collections) and read and study some very rare texts. And I’d like to visit some relical shrines in the Middle East.
9. I’d like to retrace the Lewis and Clarke expedition route by foot and horse. And then motorcycle back across the country on the way home.
10. I’d like to build a real and working ballista (based on an ancient Greek or Roman design) from scratch (no kit), and have forged for me a really fine katana made by a skilled Japanese swordsmith with an inlain pattern design I invented and sporting my family and personal crests.
So, what are some things you’ve done or built or accomplished in games that you’d also like to do in real life?
Posted on September 8, 2014, in Action-Adventure, Discovery, Entertainment, Exploration, History, Information, MY WRITINGS AND WORK, Non-Fiction, Real World, Uncategorized, Vadding and tagged adventures, blog, exploration, gaming, Real Life, Real World, vadding. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.